Welcome to: Create Your Site
We’re glad you’re here!
Is this your first time building a website? Are you returning to WordPress after a break? Are you looking for a basic understanding of how things work? You’re in the right place!
This course will show you how to build your very own website – fast! While it’s focused on first time creators, it’s also valuable for anyone looking to better understand WordPress.com’s newer site building tools.
What this course covers:
- How to make a WordPress.com website with:
- A clear roadmap for building a WordPress.com site
- Hands-on exercises broken down into step-by-step instructions
- A self-paced environment so you can learn at a rate that works best for you
- A private community to discuss, collaborate, and engage with other students to network and swap feedback
- Additional tips, resources, ideas, and feedback provided by WordPress experts
- At the end of the course, you’ll know how to create a complete 4-page website, with direction on what your next steps are.
What this course won’t be covering:
- Alternate ways to achieve various outcomes
- Advanced features such as CSS, or Cascading Style Sheets, is a way to apply style rules to HTML content., plugins, and custom themes
- Adjacent topics such as newsletters, email lists, “Search engine optimization.” Techniques you can use to help improve your search engine rankings.
- Expansive details on every feature and option
The tools you’ll need:
For maximum success with this course, you’ll need:
- A computer with internet access
- A WordPress.com account and site (which we’ll teach you how to do)
- A commitment to completing the steps, all at your own pace
As you progress through the course, there are four different ways you can get help:
Our recommended first step to finding answers is to search the WordPress.com/support self-serve knowledge base.
For general help with lesson content, the WP Courses community is your best option: https://wpcourses.com/community-activity/
The community is a place for everyone to learn together. Posting here benefits you and your peers who may have similar questions! Be sure to add the #creating hashtag to your community posts and remember to visit the “How to use the community” page for guidelines.
For course related issues, especially technical ones, you can email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Site Specific Questions
For site specific and WordPress.com account help, your best option is to submit your questions through: https://wordpress.com/help/contact
Before rolling up your sleeves and getting to
work play, be sure to:
Set mindful expectations
It is the nature of technology to advance and to do so at a rapid rate.
Still, like you, we understand that change, though inevitable, isn’t always easy. It can be frustrating and disheartening to feel like you’re not making progress.
While some things might not work out the way you thought they would, we’re here to help! You are not in this alone!
There are real people working hard behind the scenes to provide the tools to make your vision a reality. And there are real people, appropriately called “Happiness Engineers”, ready and excited to support you along the way.
Sure, you might still shake your fist at the screen once in a while, since learning can be a challenge! (We are also learning and adapting and thus welcome your feedback on the course and the software!)
But here’s a tip you can make use of right away: Try the 15 minute rule. If you can’t figure something out or find the answer in 15 minutes, ask for help!
Setting mindful expectations will go a long way to reduce technology related frustrations.
Getting you unstuck is our passion and our expertise, so we humbly invite you to lean on us to get you where you want to be.
How to do this course
We designed this course to be completed in one of two ways:
- You can use our exercises as general guidelines for building your own custom site. (Keeping in mind that your final site will look different to our example practice site.)
- Or you can complete the exercises as written to recreate our practice site – for practice! This allows you to learn, experiment and play around, before designing and publishing your custom site. (You can then refer back to the lessons for guidance on your custom site.)
Click, click, click! The lessons throughout this course include accordion blocks, flip cards, and even sub-pages to help deepen your experience with the materials. Be sure to click away as you work through the lessons to discover additional treasures!
Upgrades are optional. If you’re building your custom site right away, you may choose to upgrade your plan to gain access to additional features, but it’s not required. You can recreate our practice site with no paid upgrades.
If this is your first time building a website, we recommend starting with a practice site. You’ll want to name it accordingly, so it’s easy to distinguish from other sites in your WordPress.com account’s Site List later. We’ll be providing specific instructions that will give you exactly what you need to complete the site. You can then use the course as a guide to create your custom site once you have a better understanding of how it all works.
For each lesson, we’ve included a video demonstration showing the specific steps, a bullet point list of each step, and some detailed explanations. It’s entirely up to you what order you complete the materials in each lesson based on your preferred learning style, which is why we’ve provided the different formats.
✅ Please be sure to click the Complete Lesson button on each lesson you complete. You’re welcome to jump around the lessons as desired. However, we recommend clicking the Complete Lesson button on every lesson to track your progress and so that you have access to the Certificate of Completion at the end.